IN THE MATTER OF THE SECURITIES ACT,
R.S.O. 1990, c. S.5, AS AMENDED
- and -
IN THE MATTER OF
NEIL SURESH CHANDRAN, ENERGY TV INC.,
CHANDRAN HOLDING MEDIA, INC., also known as
CHANDRAN HOLDINGS & MEDIA INC.,
and NEIL SURESH CHANDRAN doing business as CHANDRAN MEDIA
(Subsections 127(1) and 127(10) of the Securities Act)
- on November 17, 2015, the Ontario Securities Commission (the “Commission”) issued a Notice of Hearing pursuant to sections 127(1) and 127(10) of the Securities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. S.5, as amended (the “Act”) in respect of Neil Suresh Chandran (“Chandran”), Energy TV Inc., Chandran Holding Media, Inc., also known as Chandran Holdings & Media Inc., and Chandran doing business as Chandran Media (collectively, the “Respondents”);
- on November 16, 2015, Staff of the Commission (“Staff”) filed a Statement of Allegations in respect of the same matter;
- on December 16, 2015, Staff appeared before the Commission in respect of Staff’s application to convert the matter to a written hearing, in accordance with Rule 11.5 of the Commission’s Rules of Procedure (2014), 37 OSCB 4168, and subsection 5.1(1) of the Statutory Power Procedures Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. S.22, as amended;
- on December 16, 2015, Staff made submissions and filed an affidavit of service of Lee Crann sworn December 9, 2015, and a supplementary affidavit of service of Lee Crann sworn December 14, 2015, indicating steps taken by Staff to serve the Respondents with the Notice of Hearing, Statement of Allegations and Staff’s disclosure materials, and filed an email exchange between Lee Crann and Chandran dated December 14, 2015;
- the Respondents did not appear or make submissions, although properly served;
- Staff advised that Chandran had requested an adjournment to retain counsel, and Staff did not object to Chandran’s request;
- on December 16, 2015, the Commission ordered that the hearing in this matter is adjourned to January 11, 2016, at 10:00 a.m.;
- on January 8, 2016, Staff filed an affidavit of service of Lee Crann sworn January 8, 2016, indicating steps taken by Staff to serve the Respondents with the Commission’s Order dated December 16, 2015, and email communications exchanged between Staff and Chandran;
- on January 11, 2016, Staff appeared before the Commission and made submissions;
- Chandran advised Staff on January 11, 2016, that he would not be attending the hearing to be held at 10:00 a.m. that day;
- the Respondents did not appear or make submissions, although properly served; and
- the Commission is of the opinion that it is in the public interest to make this order.
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT:
- Staff’s application to proceed by way of written hearing is granted;
- Staff’s materials in respect of the written hearing shall be served and filed no later than January 21, 2016;
- the Respondents’ responding materials shall be served and filed no later than February 18, 2016; and
- Staff’s reply materials, if any, shall be served and filed no later than March 3, 2016.
DATED at Toronto this 11th day of January, 2016.
" Janet Leiper "