Floor 22 - 20 Queen Street West
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 20, 2019
OSC Media Advisory: Burden Reduction Roundtable takes place March 27, 2019
TORONTO – Media are invited to attend a roundtable hosted by the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) on reducing regulatory burden on Wednesday, March 27, 2019, in Toronto. The roundtable will take place from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Design Exchange, 234 Bay Street, Toronto. The registration desk will open at 12:15 p.m.
Media interested in attending this event in person are asked to register now by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Media unable to attend in person may view or listen to the event via a video webcast, as well as teleconference (audio-only). The event access link and conference call details are now available on the OSC Speeches & Events page.
The OSC is focused on further reducing regulatory burden in Ontario’s capital markets and improving the investor experience. This roundtable will consider regulatory burden reduction opportunities, how to measure, set priorities and maximize the impact of burden reduction initiatives, as well as high-level themes that emerged in written comments. The OSC received more than 65 comment letters on OSC Staff Notice 11-784 Burden Reduction, and more than 300 stakeholders are expected to attend the roundtable in person.
The March 27 event is the first in a series of three roundtables planned as part of the OSC’s wide-ranging consultation. Two other roundtables are planned for May 6, 2019 to discuss registration, compliance and investment funds, and on May 27, 2019 to explore trading, marketplaces and the requirements of public company issuers. Details on these events will be shared in April.
Agenda for March 27 event
Maureen Jensen, Chair and CEO, Ontario Securities Commission (OSC)
Defining Burden: A discussion of regulatory burden and its impact
In this panel, key market participants and industry associations will share their knowledge and insight about regulatory burden in the capital markets. Panelists will identify themes as well as rules and processes they believe are unnecessary, outdated or unduly burdensome.
- Moderator: Mary Condon, Interim Dean, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Paul Bourque, President and CEO, Investment Funds Institute of Canada
- Randy Cass, CEO, Nest Wealth Asset Management Inc.
- Frank Laferriere, Chair, Private Capital Markets Association of Canada
- Ian Russell, President and CEO, Investment Industry Association of Canada
Prioritizing our Efforts: Setting priorities for maximum impact
This panel will consider how to measure, set priorities and maximize the impact of burden reduction initiatives. Panelists will discuss techniques for analysis and measurement of burden, and how to obtain robust information on regulatory costs. This panel will also consider burden reduction in the context of its potential impact on retail investors and investor protection.
- Moderator: Tim Moseley, Vice-Chair, OSC
- Patricia Callon, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, Sun Life Financial Canada
- Neil Gross, Chair, OSC Investor Advisory Panel
- Katie Walmsley, President, Portfolio Management Association of Canada
What’s Next – the way forward
This panel will discuss the high-level themes important to burden reduction that emerged in the comment period and during the prior panels. Additionally, panelists will share where they feel the focus should be as we move forward
- Moderator: Naizam Kanji, Special Advisor to the Chair, Regulatory Burden Reduction
- Debra Foubert, Director, Compliance and Registrant Regulation, OSC
- Andrew Kriegler, President and CEO, Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada
- Karen L. McGuinness, Senior Vice-President, Member Regulation – Compliance, Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada
Ontario Minister of Finance, the Honourable Vic Fedeli
The mandate of the OSC is to provide protection to investors from unfair, improper or fraudulent practices, to foster fair and efficient capital markets and confidence in the capital markets, and to contribute to the stability of the financial system and the reduction of systemic risk. Investors are urged to check the registration of any persons or company offering an investment opportunity and to review the OSC investor materials available at http://www.osc.gov.on.ca.
|For Media Inquiries: email@example.com|
|For Investor Inquiries:||OSC Contact Centre
1-877-785-1555 (Toll Free)
| Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Linkedin